Thursday, April 22, 2010

I Live in a Gray Blue Box

I live in a gray blue box
With kind neighbors on one side
Who don’t normally make noise
But tend to their flowers with diligence

In front there is a cement pathway
That leads nowhere in one direction
And is boundless in the other

There are often noises
Outside my bedroom window
At night
And during the day
Car doors shutting
Big wheels on the pavement
Twin two year olds chattering with the little birds
Who like to sit in the cherry tree

The roots of the cherry tree
Are embedded in the gray smooth cement
With only a small square hole
For its body to fit through to seek the light
And the rain

Rain has come often this year
With its pitter and patter and wind
Last night the wind visited
And covered with her dancing fingers
All of the sounds
The car doors shutting,
The neighbor’s radio,
The dogs barking
The wind lulled me to sleep
And brought me
In my dreams
To my dear mountains in the North
Where the wind charges through the valleys
Like a train

No comments: